These checklists are to be used as a guide only. If you are concerned about your child's progress at school, please contact us to discuss all available options.
With over 20 years learning disabilities experience and 13 years in private practise Dyslexia Testing Services can provide you with information on how your child learns and the best pathway forward.
Phone or email Dyslexia Testing Services to discuss your concerns
- Ensure you have your child assessed by a Specialist Teacher or Educational Psychologist.
Our assessors are approved by the Australia Dyslexia Association and the British Psychological Association.
- Make sure that the professional you go to is specially trained in dyslexia. These are educational services not usually covered by any Medicare or Health Fund rebates. Expect to pay for this private service but remember it is essential if you want to get your child on the right track.
An IQ test by a psychologist is NOT a dyslexia assessment.
- Most schools and teachers in Australia know little about dyslexia – it is not in their training. Do not expect the school or teachers to be the experts. They may even discourage you from investigating dyslexia.
The Disability Standards for Education 2005 require every school in Australia to support a child with dyslexia. Legally they do not have a choice, it is covered by the Commonwealth Anti-Discrimination Act.
International Dyslexia Association Fact Sheets
British Dyslexia Association
Youtube clips on dyslexia
If you are concerned that your child's progress at school is affected by learning problems - we can help.
We provide a comprehensive service that includes:
- a psychometric and academic assessment to identify dyslexia and other learning disabilities
- a written report detailing all assessment results and making recommendations for educational support - our reports are accepted for special provisions for assessment in all schools, colleges and universities.
- ongoing support to ensure that parents and schools are able to provide appropriate support.
- screening for Irlen tinted lenses
We advise parents, teachers and schools so that appropriate programs are available to children of all ages.
Parents and schools have used our service to ensure that they are providing the best program for students and meet the requirements for "access to the curriculum" under Anti-discrimination Legislation.
Adult services are also available.
Phone Dyslexia Testing Services to discuss your concerns
Margaret in BRISBANE - 07 3822 1544
Dyslexia Testing Services is a unique service designed to provide parents, adults and schools with an excellent educational assessment service. Our assessment process is based on that of Dyslexia Action U.K. - www.dyslexiaaction.co.uk
We want to take the pressure off families with children who are unhappy at school because of literacy problems. We also hope to support those adults who struggled through their time at school and who now would like to study or train or improve their workplace performance.
At present we have an office in Brisbane that serves Brisbane and interstate.
Margaret Hardy - Qualifications
- Certificate in Education
- Graduate Diploma in Special Education
- Master of Education
- Certificate in Teaching Dyslexic Children
- Member of Commonwealth Government Dyslexia Working Party
Margaret has appropriate qualifications to administer psychometric and academic tests.
Occasionally if a country area has a cluster of clients wanting assessments then travel to the region may be possible but generally assessments are achieved more quickly if clients can get to Brisbane. Adding our travel costs and time onto the assessment fee makes it a very expensive exercise. If you have friends or family near to one of our offices then we are happy to arrange assessments close to holiday times or weekends to reduce time away from school and work.
Our Aim - Happy Children!
We aim to provide an efficient and affordable private assessment service for children from 6 ½ yrs to Yr 12 and for adults who have literacy problems which could be caused by Dyslexia or a Specific Learning Disability.
We want to make sure that your children are happy in their classrooms. How are we different from other Services?
- There are medical services that identify Dyslexia but provide no educational information for teachers at school.
- There are psychological assessment services that may identify Dyslexia by giving your child an IQ test.
- There are some services that are trying to sell you a course or treatment to fix Dyslexia.
Then there is Dyslexia Testing Services. We are an educational service, operated by special education teachers so that our results relate directly to your child's school work, homework and educational environment.
Our reports meet the requirements for the provision of special considerations for:
Support through State, Private and Independent schools in Queensland, NSW and overseas; Queensland Studies Authority; Queensland Core Skills Test; Office of the Board of Studies in NSW; TAFE Colleges; Private Colleges; Universities and Employment.
Our reports have been used by schools and colleges throughout Australia and Overseas.